DESI takes pride in offering professional Geotechnical Engineering services for major clients in the NY Metro area and North-East Region of the country. Under the guidance of founder and president of the company Ram Tirumala, P.E., who himself is a geotechnical engineer with MS in Geotechnical Engineering from NJIT, DESI has successfully completed many innovative geotechnical projects.
As per a quote from Carl Terzaghi, known as the father of geotechnical engineering, “As soon as we pass from steel and concrete to earth, the omnipotence of theory ceases to exist”.
Steel and concrete are manmade materials and we can control the properties. In contrast, there would be many unknown factors when dealing with sub-surface soils. Keeping this in mind, engineers at DESI strive to ensure that apart from theory, all pertinent project information is reviewed and evaluated during the investigation process to enable development of ideal foundation solution. Geotechnical investigation my cost a few thousand dollars; however, overly conservative designs and costly repairs cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Geotechnical Investigation is often overlooked during the planning phase due to lack of time and / or budget.
To ensure success of the projects, DESI recommends required investigation during initial consultations with the clients. Due to the ever increasing constraints for any development project in urban environments, owners and clients are pressed for innovative design methods. The constraints include space restrictions for construction equipment, strict regulations of local agencies, unsuitable sub-surface conditions consisting of fill / debris, obstructions due to underground utilities, ducts and tunnels. Construction of major foundation in such urban environment is a challenge and requires modification of traditional design methods. DESI develops project specific design solutions tailored to the means and methods of our clients by interacting with them on a constant basis.
Geotechnical engineers constantly deal with varying sub-surface soil conditions and development of ideal design parameters is beyond basic review of soil boring records and SPT values. Engineers have to derive optimum design parameters keeping all aspects of the project in consideration.
- Evaluation of Subsurface Data
- Evaluation of Percolation Test Results
- Foundation Design Assistance
- Geotechnical Investigation
- Characterization of Subsurface Materials
- Foundation Design and Embankment Construction Reccomendation
- Adherence to NJDOT Design Manual
- Structural Design of Footings
- Design Excavation Support System
- Prepared Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)
- Evaluation of Slurry Wall, Sheet Pile and Jet-Grouted Columns
- Subsurface Soil Investigation
- Timber Retaining Wall Observation
- Recommendation for Retaining Wall Structure
- Foundation Recommendations
- Stability Calculations
- Retaining Wall Design
- Soil Testing & Subgrade Inspection
- Geotechnical and Structural Engineering
- Directed Geotechnical Monitoring Program
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Subsurface Analysis
- Evaluation of Geotechnical Design Parameters
- Foundation and Embankment Construction Design Recommendations
- Underpinning Design
- Foundation Design for Crane
- Subgrade Preparation
- Developing Subsurface Exploration Program
- Subsurface Investigation Inspection
- Borehole Permeability Tests
- Evaluation of Subsurface Soil and Rock
- Prepare Boring Logs using gINT
- Prepared Foundation Reports
- GPR survey
- Geotechnical and Environmental Related Design Support Services
- Evaluation of Existing Concrete Pile Capacity using Dynamic Load Testing Method (PDA)
- Evaluation of Pile Integrity using Echo/Impulse Response (SE/IR) Testing (PIT)
- Evaluation of Pile Depths
- Determination of H-pile Bearing Capacity
- Evaluation of Pile Uplift Resistance
- Prepare Geotechnical Data Report
- Soil Compaction
Our Company Mission
We are a responsive, service oriented Civil Engineering company managed by a dedicated team of engineers. We are registered as professional engineers in the States of New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut. We strive to find cost effective solutions to any given problem. We are a small, minority, and disadvantaged yet quality conscientious business enterprise. We go the extra step to obtain variances from regulatory agencies, and our engineers have significant design build and design bid build experience for Environmental Engineering in New Jersey and other projects. We will provide 24/7 service to our clients if required.